Beyond Marketing by Dr. Joe Vitale

Thoughts, news, riffs and reviews by Dr. Joe Vitale ("Mr. Fire!") about marketing, publicity, selling, hypnosis, copywriting, books, fitness, metaphysics, "The Secret" and anything else he cares to comment on, including healing, humor, the Internet and yes, maybe even sex.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Wimberley, Texas, United States

Author of way too many books to list here

Enter your Email


Powered by FeedBlitz

Get RSS to Beyond Marketing


If you like the free articles on this blog, let Joe know by buying him his all-time favorite gift - an Amazon gift certificate. His email is joe@mrfire.com Click Here!

Thursday, May 17, 2007

When is something bad?

As I begin this post I'm still without my computer and wireless in the house. I only got online with my laptop a few minutes ago.

As you know from my last post, lightning hit a tree here and knocked out almost everything. Even my hot tub was hit. Now that was bad.

Or was it?

I started wondering when something we attract gets labelled as "bad."

The power going out isn't preferred but is it bad?

The Internet going down, the wireless router burning up, and the cable modem being fried aren't desired either, but is it all bad?

The computer dying on me isn't on my wish list either, but is it bad?

I've often said that most of marketing is perception. Well, so is most of life.

What if I looked at the lightning strike and the resulting power problems as actually good?

What if I asked myself, "What's the positive reason for this experience?"

For example, I'm supposed to be on vacation this week, anyway. What do I need my computer or Internet for? We cancelled the actual trip to Las Vegas due to Brownie's death, but I can still read and relax at home. The lightning strike could be seen as a statement from the Universe to STOP WORKING.

I didn't understand why the hot tub would have a problem though. I use that to relax. But then I realized only half the hot tub doesn't work. I can still get in it and still use it. So even that isn't really bad.

I've been reading some good books while on this enforced vacation. I'm becoming a fan of Steve Chandler. His book The Story of You is inspiring.

It's about learning to choose a new story - or to give new meaning - to whatever happens.

When you do that, you have control of your life experience.

So - What's bad?

Maybe nothing at all.

Maybe all it needs is a new story. A new interpretation.

Thank goodness for that lightning strike.

Without it I may never have written this post or paused to read a really good book.

Not bad, eh?

Ao Akua,

joe
www.mrfire.com

PS - I don't know Steve but his books are excellent. See www.stevechandler.com or of course shop for him at Amazon.


If you like the free articles on this blog, let Joe know by buying him his all-time favorite gift - an Amazon gift certificate. His email is joe@mrfire.com Click Here!

6 Comments:

Blogger Goosh said...

I believe that there is also good in personal treagedies.

Even 9/11, Hurricane Katrina and the Tsunami have good in them.

I once saw this documentary about a small village in South America.

It was a poor village with infertile land. Nothing could grow so people were starving.

Then one day a nearby volcano erupted. It covered the entire village. Everyone lost their home and personal belongings. There were even a few deaths.

10 years later, when people returned to that area they found that its soil had become very fertile.

Its soil was rich with nutrients caused by the ash and molten lava. (dont quote me on that!)

Anyhow, the people returned and the village enjoyed a renewed sense of prosperity and identity.

Its farming industry was revived once again.

Moral of the story: events occur in our lives which we consider bad, but in fact they build character, teach us lifes lessons and give us the benefit of contrasting perspective.

Joe, I remember you once wrote about Paul Newman who had lost his son drug overdose.Because of that, every year he contributes large amounts of money to a foundation which deals in drug abuse prevention.

Bye for now!

Koorosh Vahabi

5:00 PM  
Blogger Zoe Routh said...

Hi Joe

It's so true - it's not about what happens to you, but what you think and feel about what happens to you.

Further to the cancer post you wrote recently - I too had cancer and it really was such a huge gift to me. I re-framed everything in my life and am now living my dream life and far happier than I ever have been.

Every day I write and read about things that I am passionate about and help others to do the same. I get paid well for this too. I want for nothing - my life is fantastic. Great house, great car, wonderful husband, abundant finances, freedom in my work and much more.

At the time of diagnosis, it did NOT feel like a gift, more of curse, however in re-framing the experience and how I felt about it all has transformed my life.

Best wishes to you and all your readers.

Zoe

8:04 PM  
Blogger June said...

Hi Joe and readers,

When I read your blog today about the power outages and how you are looking for a lesson in the happening, I suddenly thought, "Maybe the universe is asking Joe to step up and help us protect our planet from the environmental challenges facing it these days."

We need a leader like you to help us do what is needed. Maybe this power outage is the universe's subtle way of inviting you to step up to the plate.

Best
June Campbell

7:52 AM  
Blogger Amy J + Energy = Bliss! said...

Joe,

You know I've been doing the same thing with the "things that show up" unexpectedly (can't even say un-welcomed!) in my life. I have been noticing that I too tend to label something either good or bad. I too have been inquiring like you are inquiring.. is it? Are they?

Of course not.

Everything is inherently neutral, it is us who make it either good or bad.

So whatever way you are viewing your new adventure and enforced down time (pun intended!), one thing it is for sure is an opportunity to gain wisdom!

Have a blessedly relaxing, offline abundant day!

Amy

12:55 PM  
Blogger tiffy102781 said...

Hey Joe, I am a huge fan of yours. I've learned so many valuable tools, thanks to you. Nothing but Jaw dropping inspiration, comes out of me whenever I read something from you or about you. When I read that lightning struck, I thought...Joe will turn this into his new bestseller, and he will name the book..."Where there is lightning, there is energy." Utilizing what might appear to be a setback, into a million dollar idea... It's amazing how ideas flow out of me, when it comes to others' work...Still awaiting on my nod for mine... I think I might just have it now..."Perception, the key to unlocking the power." I should get started on writing that book... I'm glad you and Nerissa are ok, and other than having half of a hot tub, it appears that you're thriving, and taking a much needed break. Thanks for always providing such wonderful insight.. God Bless... Tiffany

10:57 AM  
Blogger Martha said...

Oooh, I love Steve Chandler. One of the clearest--and funnest--explainers of the idea that we make our own meaning, ever.

9:47 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Internet & Website News from Send2Press Newswire

This webpage uses Javascript to display some content.

Please enable Javascript in your browser and reload this page.