Beyond Marketing by Dr. Joe Vitale

Thoughts, news, riffs and reviews by Dr. Joe Vitale ("Mr. Fire!") about marketing, publicity, selling, hypnosis, copywriting, books, fitness, metaphysics, "The Secret" and anything else he cares to comment on, including healing, humor, the Internet and yes, maybe even sex.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Wimberley, Texas, United States

Author of way too many books to list here

Enter your Email


Powered by FeedBlitz

Get RSS to Beyond Marketing


If you like the free articles on this blog, let Joe know by buying him his all-time favorite gift - an Amazon gift certificate. His email is joe@mrfire.com Click Here!

Tuesday, April 10, 2007

"What was my single turning point?"


A reader watched my new DVD, Humbug, and was apparently impressed with it.

He emailed me this question:

"Was there one point in your life that was the turn around? I often ask people who've obviously hitched themselves to a Saturn 5 rocket the same question."

I get that question a lot.

I've been thinking about it long and hard.

I know that taking on the attitude that anything is possible is part of the answer; so is knowing the Law of Attraction and the idea that getting clear leads to preferred results; so is always saying yes to life; and so is the idea of being ruthlessly honest about your desires.

But those are mindsets I've developed over time.

They don't answer the question about the single event that changed my life.

The thing is, there's no "one point" where everything shifted for me. It was more a series of defining moments, some more memorable than others. For example:

Landing the book deal to write The AMA Complete Guide to Small Business Advertising for the American Marketing Association back in 1993, was a marker for me. I wasn't paid much money (almost none) but it was my first book deal with a traditional publisher and the project made me feel accomplished and important. It also got me more clients and more speaking engagements. (I still love the book and use it myself, though sadly it's now out of print. Some of it ended up in my new book, Hypnotic Writing.)

Recording my program, The Power of Outrageous Marketing for Nightingale-Conant in 1997, was another turning point for me, one I had longed to have for over ten years. People who knew that company and their wonderful products began to treat me like I was a deity in the marketing world. That also influenced my own sense of value. (That's also when I raised my fees. ) The program still sells like crazy today, and I'm still very proud of it. (One of my favorite sections is where I stage an interview with the great circus showman and master marketer, P.T. Barnum.)

Certain people helped me step up to a new level, as well.

Paul Hartunian changed my life. This publicity genius who once sold the Brooklyn Bridge as a PR stunt and got on Johnny Carson for it, once spent three hours over dinner in Houston telling me how to change my business. I took notes. I acted. Paul's giving was a defining moment in my career. I'll never forget him. He's one of my heros.

Mandy Evans has been a "miracles coach" in my life for more than twenty years. This wonderful author of such books as Travelling Free has always been only a phone call away. Whenever I feel stuck and ready for the next level, I call her. I love her. She helps me get clear.

Bob Proctor -- a living legend in the self-help movement -- changed my life when he politely nudged me to publish the little book I was fearful about releasing, Spiritual Marketing. That book became an Amazon bestseller twice, got me into The New York Times, and led to my rewriting it and seeing J. Wiley publish it as the now long running classic, The Attractor Factor. And of course The Attractor Factor got me into the movie The Secret, which led to my being on Larry King, eXtra TV, Time, Newsweek and...well, you get the idea.

Obviously, there's no one event that transformed me.

If you want to know more, I've written about my journey through life in such books as Adventures Within and of course The Attractor Factor. They reveal other defining moments and the people who triggered them for me.

I really wish there was a simple answer to the question of what was my turning point moment, so we could both learn from it.

But what may be better is to assume every moment is your turn around one, and act from that perspective.

Life would then take on a glow.

Backed into a corner, and forced to say something was the one thing that changed my career, I'd give credit to the Internet.

I began as an Internet skeptic in the early 1990s. I didn't believe all the hype about gold in cyberspace.

I was wrong.

I later wrote one of the first books about online marketing (CyberWriting).

And later, when Mark Joyner urged me to let him release my first e-book (Hypnotic Writing), I began to taste fame and fortune.

So I have to give credit to being active online as a turning point in my career. (Note I said active online. I was and am busy creating and promoting products, not waiting for the world to come to my door.)

The Internet let me take what I was doing locally and distribute it to the world.

But, as you can see, it was one of many defining moments.

Maybe the best way to wrap this up is with the following story:

I'm hearing from people from my past who saw the movie The Secret and then searched for me online. When they get to my main site, they write me and ask something like, "Are you the same Joe Vitale I worked with thirty years ago?"

One gent did that recently. Turns out we had worked at Exxon together long, long ago.

He saw me on Larry King and couldn't believe my level of success. He wrote to me saying, "I wish I had known what a gem I was hanging around back then."

I thought, what if each of us treated each other like we were gems already -- just unrecognized and maybe unpolished.

Wouldn't that single change of perspective make every moment of our lives a turning point?

As Goethe wrote, "Treat people as if they were what they ought to be, and you help them become what they are capable of being."

Ao Akua,

Joe

www.mrfire.com

PS - Above photo is again by master photographer Rodney Bursiel. Is that guy good or what? My Panoz Francine loves the attention.

TIP: A way to get a turning point moment for yourself is through Miracles Coaching. I believe that trained mentors can help you leap to the next level, and I still employ them for myself today. Expect miracles. And remember, every moment counts.

NOTE: If you want help in making it online, consider my Executive Mentoring Program. See http://joevitalementoring.com for details, endorsements, and more.


If you like the free articles on this blog, let Joe know by buying him his all-time favorite gift - an Amazon gift certificate. His email is joe@mrfire.com Click Here!

24 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

WOW! WOW! WOW! Just what I needed to hear! Thanks so much Joe!

Taye

9:45 AM  
Blogger nirvanawoman said...

Hi Joe!
Like you I have many points in my life that I can term as life changing....but the biggest one has to be when my brother became seriously ill and I decided to learn Reiki in order to help him. Though it meant changing my whole life around....and I was up against a lot of criticism at the time.
I sometimes look back at these times and feel enormous gratitude for having made the decisions 'against the odds' for it has made me the strong and capable woman I am today.
I will always be grateful for my brother and his 'sacrifice' for it led me to become a whole lot wiser!
Love and Light
Carol V. Leslie

9:48 AM  
Blogger Daniel Levis said...

Hi Joe,

Great post. I really enjoyed reading this. Truly inspiring.

Daniel Levis
http://free-copywriting-tips.blogspot.com/

9:50 AM  
Blogger Edward Q McBeth said...

I would have to say that the Secret DVD jolted me out of my waking sleep. I have since started my own blog
http://www.reddeerblog.com which is dedicated to demonstrating that 'Life was meant to be, fun,easy and over-flowing with Abundance' In only 3 months it has grown tremendously. So thanks to you and your inspiring gang on the DVD, I am feeling more blessed everyday. Eduardo (Truthteller)

10:04 AM  
Blogger angiespitz said...

This didn't happen overnight sometimes it takes year to achieve all you want. Some people read The Secret and think just think it and it will happen it is not that way at all! You have to do as well

10:07 AM  
Blogger Frank Butterfield said...

Joe --

Thanks for sharing your life with us. One of your great gifts is that you use your own life as a teaching device. I certainly have been inspired by your story. And I am led to do the same and share the story of my life as a way to inspire and motivate others.

Getting clear and being honest about our true desires. These have been pivotal for me and many folks that I've worked with. This is when we get out of our heads and into the place where most of our power resides. Thanks for the constant reminders about that!

Frank Butterfield
Austin, TX

http://www.retransformation.com

10:10 AM  
Blogger Tracey "Word Doctor" Dooley said...

Great post, Joe.

it's always worth being reminded of that gem: "Forget the 'what ifs', simply act 'as if' and you will attract the life you truly desire..."

OK, so it's not a gem, and it's probably been said elsewhere in a much more eloquent way, but you get the gist... ;-)

Tracey, "Marketing Moment" blog

10:26 AM  
Blogger Edward Q McBeth said...

My turning point came about after seeing you and your buddies in the Secret DVD. As a result I started blogging and traffic to my site has grown tremendously in a very short period. My site is about...Life was meant to be fun,easy and over-flowing with abundance.. http://www.reddeerblog.com
it's called Truthteller
so thanks Joe!

10:53 AM  
Blogger Dee Foster said...

Hello Joe,
I believe you can now add me to your list of biggest fans. I jsut finished reading your book Hypnotic Writing. To say that you have a way with words is an "under statement"

I believe reading your blog here today is defining moment and follow my dreams to be who God intended for me to me. Sometimes we get so wrapped up in other people expectation.

I have my marching orders. I am pressing forward.

Thanks for being a blessing Joe.

BTW I read the Secret about... I lost count after 20x...

Many blessings,
Dee

http://wwww.deefosterenterprises.org

11:19 AM  
Blogger Greg said...

Joe -

Materially, I believe that the turning point was when you stepped out in faith in regards to your first Saturn. Your income was sporadic and you wondered whether you should risk it with car payments.

If you would let me metaphysical about it, you made a choice expecting the universe to provide for you the work required to support the car payment.

It was not long after that where the opportunity to move into a nice home presented itself. Again, it was an act of faith and an act of expectation of the universe.

Some point in this time frame you started living the life of "The Secret."

Always your friend,

Greg

P.S. Strange, I am still struggling to follow my own advice.

11:21 AM  
Blogger Carla Michelle said...

Hola Joe,

Deeply touched by you. Thank you for sharing.


Carla

11:50 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

My turning point was when I watched for the very first time THE SECRET.
After that I knew All I had to was to subscribe to these MARVELOUS TEACHERS newsletters.
Now my M.LM is blossoming like never before.
You can contact me anytime at. www.livewell.powerfulintentions.com
Be well, live well
Eduardo

12:05 PM  
Blogger KO said...

Hi Joe,
I asked you the exact same question at the Unseminar, and every time I hear your answer, it is like a new awakening. Yes, besides getting out of bed this morning:) Spending time with you and Pat that weekend was a huge defining moment, but I have learned that every moment that we are taking action towards our dreams is a potential turnaround moment. Every article, every blog post, every email to our subscribers, every press release, and every chapter we write for our latest book; these are all actions that carry the potential of becoming turnaround moments.
Thank you so much for your constant inspiration!
Kevin O'Rourke
www.onlinewithKO.com

12:53 PM  
Blogger Mauvine said...

I was reading your post, hoping to learn about the turning point that put some distance between you and poverty.

Turns out you did it in a Saturn (thank you, Greg).

Exactly what I needed to hear. Because it's the very issue I've been struggling with.

I don't own a car and REALLY can't afford to buy one. But I also know of opportunities that await me - if I could get to where they are!

Faith, huh? I can do that.

Love to Francine,

Cheryl Blakeney

5:11 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Joe,

All that you share is so good in so many ways. You have an intuitive gift and use it respectively for the greater good to all that you reach. I wasn't living prior to reading The Attractor Factor, I was existing. This book has completly opened up my mind, and I am truly now ALIVE! I couldn't thank you enough. Keep writing, and keep sharing, continue changing people's lives from feeling like victims, to attaining that which they have only dreamed of.

I am truly inspired, I am truly grateful, I am truly ON FIRE!

Many, many thanks.

Nancy
riversmith57

5:41 PM  
Blogger Joe Vitale said...

I learned to have faith long before the Saturn, but it certainly was another one of those defining moments. The Saturn story is in The Attractor Factor book.

5:42 PM  
Blogger funDiva Christy Hoffman said...

In my lifetime, I have invested the time, paper and ink to print out only four ebooks.

They are:
The Greatest Money Making Secret in History

How to Get Lots of Money for Anything Fast

Adventures Within

and Spiritual Marketing

What do all these have in common?!

Each of these were turning points for me. It's sooo cool too - I just pulled out my original 3-ring binder of Spiritual Marketing and I have my written present tense goal from 2001!

I am always happy, joyful and loved. TRUE!

I experience positive, fun, stimulating and growth filled activities and events. TRUE!

and I have unlimited secure financial resources TRUE with much more room in my bank account for improvement ;)

I was going to ASK (quoting Joe from The Secret) Joe to GIVE IT AWAY (quoting Joe from GMMS in history) and provide us with the way to get these books again, then I opened my paperback of Adventures Within and found it!

http://authorhouse.com/BookStore/BookStoreSearchResults.aspx?SearchType=smpl&SearchTerm=%22joe+vitale%22+electronic

thats really unpretty
http://authorHouse.com
"Book Store"
Search->"joe vitale" electronic

or Joe can add this link as a PPS or really can GIVE IT AWAY and tell us if theres a free pdf of these! (maybe not if publisher restricted)

I know I'm a demanding goof Joe, it's part of the benefit of being a funDiva!

I Love You & Hugs,
Christy

6:14 PM  
Blogger Dru said...

Best picture of Francine yet. The flames really set off her curves; and so fitting with Mr. Fire himself in front of her. :)

I believe if we all look back, we can see a multitude of turning points - after all, it's a journey. Sometimes though you have those wonderful, shining epiphanies where all the pieces that have been tumbling around in your brain just *click*.

Those are the ones I love.

9:30 PM  
Blogger Merovingian said...

Hi Joe,

Excellent post.

For me, the bit about treating everyone like a gem, unrecognised or unpolished or not, stood out for me. It's a great philosophy; one I do my best to practice everyday.

As the old saying goes:

Be nic to others on your way up, for you may need them on the way down.

Not to mention, it just feels good when you treat people well, and it is reciprocated.

Cheers,
-M.

4:13 AM  
Blogger Lifewave Nanotech Patch said...

Great blog entry. Makes me think of all my defining moments, too.

But I have to ask: how did Rodney get Francine to look like she's on fire? Fabulous shot!

Heidi Walter

9:28 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

"What if each of us treated each other like we were gems already -- just unrecognized and maybe unpolished." Man is that is or what? This is my work at hand right now. To see me as the gem and see that gem reflected back to me through others recognizing their inner beauty despite their circumstances. It is actually starting to work too! Thanks Joe, in consistent gratitude for your contribution!

12:47 PM  
Blogger Kris said...

Most sales and marketing people that I know (not all, mind you) are deceptive and "greedy." I'm not one to go for fancy cars--sorry Francine.... yet, there is an honesty and kindness about you, Joe. Some of the folks from the Secret that I looked up and read about are a bit too "sale-sy" for me. So, let me take this opportunity for thank you (the marketer of all people) to come across as genuine, kind, and well... fun. I LOVE all of the free info that you provide on the web. You have proven to be generous with your knowledge and wisdom, as well as knowing your worth and charging for it as well. That's a rare and gifted combo. THANKS!

8:28 AM  
Blogger Kris said...

Most sales and marketing people that I know (not all, mind you) are deceptive and "greedy." I'm not one to go for fancy cars--sorry Francine.... yet, there is an honesty and kindness about you, Joe. Some of the folks from the Secret that I looked up and read about are a bit too "sale-sy" for me. So, let me take this opportunity for thank you (the marketer of all people) to come across as genuine, kind, and well... fun. I LOVE all of the free info that you provide on the web. You have proven to be generous with your knowledge and wisdom, as well as knowing your worth and charging for it as well. That's a rare and gifted combo. THANKS!

8:30 AM  
Blogger karen97 said...

Hello Joe,

I'm an online friend of Joanie Chappel's and am new to your blog. Last night I finished listening to and reading the audios/transcripts of the Zero Limits seminar. Really transformative for me. Truly.

So this morning I decided to peruse your blog and see what other pearls of wisdom and inspiration I could find. I stumbled upon this:

"I thought, what if each of us treated each other like we were gems already -- just unrecognized and maybe unpolished."

That's so beautiful, Joe. Thank you for the nudge.

Karen Gordon
Eugene Oregon

9:15 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Internet & Website News from Send2Press Newswire

This webpage uses Javascript to display some content.

Please enable Javascript in your browser and reload this page.