Beyond Marketing by Dr. Joe Vitale

Thoughts, news, riffs and reviews by Dr. Joe Vitale ("Mr. Fire!") about marketing, publicity, selling, hypnosis, copywriting, books, fitness, metaphysics, "The Secret" and anything else he cares to comment on, including healing, humor, the Internet and yes, maybe even sex.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Wimberley, Texas, United States

Author of way too many books to list here

Enter your Email


Powered by FeedBlitz

Get RSS to Beyond Marketing


If you like the free articles on this blog, let Joe know by buying him his all-time favorite gift - an Amazon gift certificate. His email is joe@mrfire.com Click Here!

Sunday, June 25, 2006

What's Your Mindset? or, Three Must-Have Books (Part One)

I'm reading a dozen or so books at any one time. Three jump out as must-haves. I thought I would mention them here on this blog. I'll tell you about the first book today:

Mindset: The New Psychology of Success by Carol Dweck.

This one is really opening my eyes. Dweck says there are two basic mindsets: a fixed one and a growth one. A fixed mindset says you can't learn anything new in a particular area. A growth mindset says you can learn something new, with time, effort and patience.

At first glance this may seem lame as an insight.

But look closer.

In the field of marketing, copywriting, publicity and online selling, I have a growth mindset. I didn't know any of those subjects at birth. I had to learn them all. But my mindset was open. It was growth oriented. I knew I could do it, in time. And I did.

But in the field of fitness, I've had a fixed mindset. I felt I would never be an athlete, never lose weight, and always fail at dieting and exercise. When it came to fitness, I felt nature had dealt me a bad hand and I was doomed to accept the cards.

How do you change your mindset?

According to Dweck, all you have to do is flip the mental switch. Just being aware of the two mindsets can help you choose the growth oriented one.

For example, my trainer, Scott York, came to my gym today. I met him at the door with an enthusiasum that rocked him a little. He's used to me being reluctant to work-out, especially with his Navy Seals bootcamp-style intense exercises.

But I've been reading Mindset. I realized I had a fixed mindset and I decided to give it up. After all, it wasn't helping me. As a result, I had a terrific, though difficult, workout. And I now feel fantastic. (You'll be able to see the workout, and hear me reveal marketing secrets, if you sign-up at www.mrfiremeltdown.com )

Obviously, in some areas of your life you have a fixed mindset. In others you have a growth mindset. The point is to realize you have a choice in all areas.

Consider: In what area of your life have you given up, or accepted that you can't succeed or improve?

Always bad at math?

Can't learn Internet marketing?

Always fail at dieting or learning a new language or meeting someone new or --- ?

Your answer reveals where you have a fixed mindset.

You can change it.

It's a choice.

Ao Akua,

Joe
www.mrfire.com

PS -- I'll tell you about the other two books that I think are must-haves later. For now, go get Carol Dweck's book, Mindset. And read it. Like right now.


If you like the free articles on this blog, let Joe know by buying him his all-time favorite gift - an Amazon gift certificate. His email is joe@mrfire.com Click Here!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Internet & Website News from Send2Press Newswire

This webpage uses Javascript to display some content.

Please enable Javascript in your browser and reload this page.